Genealogy sites

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: Northern Lass, grangers14, admin

clivemgriffiths
Primary Surname Interests: Griffiths
Primary Geographical Research Areas: uk

Genealogy sites

Post by clivemgriffiths »

I'm just starting out and was wondering, which genealogy site is best, Ancestry, Myheritage, or other? Any thoughts will be gratefully received.
Northern Lass
Primary Surname Interests: Hinett, Rose, Round, Shakespear, Wilkins,
Primary Geographical Research Areas: Black Country, Wiltshire, Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Genealogy sites

Post by Northern Lass »

Hi welcome will move this to software discussion forum. :wink:
Marchesgirl
Primary Surname Interests: Dunn, Cardoe, Challingsworth, Bingham, Baker, Allchurch
Primary Geographical Research Areas: Black Country

Re: Genealogy sites

Post by Marchesgirl »

I use both Ancestry and FindMyPast. I use Ancestry because it has digital images of parish records for many of the areas that I research (Birmingham, Nottingham, London and now Worcestershire) and I like the facility to search the census by place of birth. FindMyPast has good coverage of Staffordshire, an extensive Newspaper archive and access to the 1921 census. I think the search algorithms are different for both, so sometimes if I can't find a census entry for someone on one site, I can find it on the other. I would suggest you look to see which sites cover the areas you are interested in and, if your local library/archives has access to multiple sites, try them out and see which you prefer.

Return to “Software”